This prayer for awakening (from http://www.desiringgod.org) has relevance for every Christian Church.
Send LORD a remarkable awakening that results in…
- hundreds of people coming to Christ,
- old animosities being removed,
- marriages being reconciled and renewed,
- wayward children coming home,
- long-standing slavery to sin being conquered,
- spiritual dullness being replaced by vibrant joy,
- weak faith being replaced by bold witness,
- disinterest in prayer being replaced by fervent intercession,
- boring Bible reading being replaced by passion for the Word,
- disinterest in global missions being replaced by energy for Christ’s name among the nations, and
- lukewarm worship being replaced by zeal for the greatness of God’s glory.
How many of us and how many times we have lost our concentration during prayer, both at church and in our homes? The following (humorous) lines are intended to help us focus – and prepare better for this important spiritual discipline. Enjoy and learn. I did.
One day in the synagogue, Rabbi Levi Yitzchak of Berdichev seemed to be observing a group of his Hasidim as they prayed. When they were finished, he approached them with a hearty greeting, “Shalom aleichem!”
They looked startled to hear their rabbi pronounce the greeting traditionally given after returning from a long journey. “But Rabbi,” they said, “we have not been anywhere!”